My name is Katharine Kinney. Welcome to the launch of this new website created by my friend Catherine Couvert. This is my first attempt at writing a blog but having seen other interesting blogs I hope to showcase the arts and crafts I create.
I make items out of recycled magazines for my stall which I call “Precious Paper”.
I have always been interested in the idea of upcycling as well as recycling, which is when one takes material that would be considered useless or perhaps ‘rubbish’ and then make it into something of greater worth or beauty.
I take piles of ordinary glossy magazines that have been read and discarded, and instead of popping them into the household recycling bin I use various parts to make my craft items.
- I cut out all the photographs inside to use on my decoupage frames and mirrors, boxes and drawer units
- I take off the covers and backs and make paper beads with this thicker card which I turn into jewellery
- I use any colourful advertisements inside to make little paper gift bags for the jewellery to go into
- Any other colourful pages leftover I make into Kusudama flowers (Japanese origami flowers – like in the photo)
Where you can find me
You can find me in St.George’s Market in Belfast every Sunday (near the May Street entrance down by the fish and veg! Also occasionally in the Craft Fair on Saturdays in Hillsborough in the Court House beside the Tourist Board Office.
2012 Hillsborough Market dates
- 30th June
- 28th July
- 25th August
- September: to be confirmed
- 27th October
- 24th November
- 15th December
times: 10.00 – 4.00